I am a bit shopping addicted. I am completely aware of the fact that I shop too much and that I own too many things. Nonetheless, I still find myself scrolling through online shops longing for new pieces of clothing. But it is not only clothes but also beauty products that I constantly buy more and more.
Of course I feel not good about it. So I decided to change my consumerist behaviour this year. I have several reasons for that.
- Firstly, I want to save money and spent it on travelling or none material things. When I think of all the money I wasted on clothes that I never wore, I am annoyed by myself. I could have spent that money so much better. However, it’s too late now and I can only learn from the past and change for the future.
- Secondly, all that extensive consumerism is most likely to have a negative impact on our environment, too. Fast Fashion, plastic in oceans, … It’s so sad that our community is based on consumerism and materialism. Advertisings are suggesting that material products make us happy. But they don’t or only for a short period of time.
- Last but not least: I simply have too much stuff… I noticed that I own way too many things when I moved in with my boyfriend last year and I had to move all that stuff from one place to another. Which is why, I want to declutter rather than accumulating more things. Minimalism is a very interesting topic to me and I want to explore it a bit more this year.
Which is why, I decided to drastically change my shopping behaviour and start a shopping ban. For me, it’s hard to just stop shopping. I need a challenge which will hopefully trigger my ambition and endurance. I was inspired to start the shopping ban by Mia from heylilahey – I can only recommend reading her blog!
- The shopping ban last for 6 months starting from today, 14. February 2018.
- I am not allowed to buy any new clothes unless I really need it (that probably won’t happen.. I mean, when do we actually need new clothing?). Need is not to be confused with want.
- I am not allowed to buy any make up or beauty products unless I’ve used up something and don’t have anything similar anymore.
- I am allowed to sell my old clothes but I may not invest the money in new clothes that I don’t need.
- I will use the six months to use up old beauty products, declutter my wardrobe and find the items I love to wear.
These are the rules, so let’s start the challenge! I will keep you updated on twitter and give a feedback at the end of the shopping ban. Feel free to join and let me know if you do!